Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Twilight Garden



I have painted a number of canvases in the "Strawbery Banke", a recreated colonial village in Portsmouth, NH, complete with reenactors and period craftsmen. This painting was of the Aldridge Garden which has this lovely archway.

I was painting with acrylics. As most acrylic painters know they darken as they dry. The day was actually a very bright summer day and I couldn't find shade to set up my easel, so I painted in the bright sunlight. While I was painting, I thought I was producing a nice bright summer's day painting. When I got home I was appaled at how the sun had tricked my eye and how much the painting had darkened as it dried. In a stroke of inspiration, I titled the painting "Twilight Garden" and it sold the first time I showed it.

No comments: