Saturday, June 13, 2009

George Cherepov


I'm sorry to have been away for such a long time. Alas when one gets old, these things happen.

There is a movie coming out called "Local Color" dealing with a young artist wanting to learn traditional painting but he is unable to get it in college art schools. He badgers an established artist to give him the training he wants. Supposedly movie is based on the producers true story. I've been told that the artist was George Cherepov. I've been experimenting with limited palettes (3 colors and white) and another artist told me that Cherepov's limited palette was: Prussian Blue, Indian Red, yellow ochre and white. This painting I did with that palette as an experiment. With the three dull, dark primaries, I was surprised how vibrant the colors were that I was able to mix.

I've ordered George Cherepov's book on oil painting from the used book market. I'm very impressed by the few paintings I've seen of his.

No comments: