Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Couple of Marine Paintings




I wanted to get a couple of paintings of marine subjects on my blog before I called it a day. The first painting is an acrylic (sold) of the fishing pier in Portsmouth, NH. The title: "Ice and Fuel" is the sign above the fishing boats. The boats were being prepared for sea.
It was a rainy day and I sat on a picnic table under a canopy, on Pierce Island just across a narrow part of the harbor. The humidity was so high that my acrylics wouldn't dry and became too slick to continue painting. I took a couple reference photos and finished the last 20% of the painting at home. This painting won several awards for me. This painting has been sold.
The second painting also picked up a couple awards and is a pastel. It's coarse texture is due to the Canson paper. It is not a smooth paper. There is also an autobiographical haiku that goes with this painting. It's titled "adrift."
"Adrift on a dark
Dark sea I dream of what never
Was and never will be"
What's a couple extra syllables among friends? It's a lament of a dreamer.
This painting is still available.

No comments: